Letter of Permission

In certain circumstances, UBC students may be permitted to study at an institution outside of UBC with a Letter of Permission (LOP). In order to have credits count towards your UBC degree, you must first be granted an LOP by your Faculty. However, LOPs are issued only in extenuating circumstances; typically, students are expected to complete all courses at UBC.

You need an LOP for:
• A course that you want to take at another institution that will count towards your UBC degree

You do not need an LOP for:
Go Global Exchange
Coordinated International Experience (CIE)
• UBC Okanagan – you will need to complete a Cross-Campus Registration form

• You need to be in good standing in your most recently completed Winter Session
• The course is offered at an accredited Canadian institution

LOPs are not granted in the following circumstances:
• The course would be used to meet Minor requirements
• The course is offered at UBC and you are in the Lower Mainland
• You have already transferred 60 credits into your degree (the maximum allowable transfer credits at UBC is 60)
• Civil Engineering does not grant LOPs for the Impact of Technology on Society elective; this must be completed at UBC
• If a course has been failed and is offered in the next session. This request will be considered on a case by case basis if a student requires the failed course for progression and there is a scheduling conflict when the course is next offered.

LOPs may be considered in the following circumstances:
•If a course is not offered at UBC and it is needed as a prerequisite to another course. If the requested course is offered in the next session, the request is unlikely to be granted. For example, if you have failed MATH 100 (prerequisite to MATH 101) in Winter term 1, the next available opportunity to take this course will be in Summer term 1. An LoP, in this case, would not be granted as the student will have the opportunity to take the course in the next session.
• If the UBC course is full and not taking it will delay degree progression
• If you are on a co-op work term and would like to take a course towards degree requirements and are unable to take it UBC

• After your request has been evaluated, you will be notified via email with a decision related to your request; submission of a request does not guarantee approval
• LOPs do not guarantee that the course will meet specific degree requirements
• An LOP does not guarantee admission to another institution; you need to meet all entry requirements as a visiting student at the host institution
• An LOP can be used only for the Term that it is granted. For example, if you have an LOP approved for Term 1 and decide to take the course in Term 2, you will need to reapply for a new LOP.
• If you are given an LOP to take a course elsewhere while still registered at UBC, you are considered to meet all UBC obligations first. For example, if you have an exam conflict at both institutions, you are expected to meet the UBC obligations first; academic concession will not be provided in these circumstances

Process and Timelines:
• If you are considering a course at an institution in British Columbia, ensure that the course you want to take is transferrable to UBC by using the BC Transfer Guide
• To submit a request, complete the LOP Application form

Course being taken Application openDecision made by
Winter Session
Term 1 (September – December)
July 15 - 25August 1
Winter Session Term 2 (January – April) November 15 - 25December 1
Summer Session (May – August) March 15-25April 1
Summer Session* May 6-May 22May 25
*This form is for a student who failed a 2021W Term 2 course and that course is currently offered in 2022S at UBC and the course registration is full

Submit a Request for a Letter of Permission