My Question is About…

Please refer to the Registration FAQ.

UBC’s primarily communicates with students through email. It is very important that students keep their contact information up-to-date on the Student Service Centre (SSC).

UBC Card is your official student identification and this year, it comes in two forms – both are free to get: digital and physical. For more information on how to get it please review the UBC Card website.

Your tuition information is found in your SSC. Several online payment options are available.

Information on the U-pass and the Health and Dental Plan is found on the respective websites. If students still have more questions, contact your Enrolment Services Advisor or the Alma Mater Society (AMS).

Visit the New to UBC page to help start your transition to UBC Life Online. Topics include:

  • Virtual orientations
  • Connecting with UBC life online
  • International students – important to prepare
  • Pre-university checklist
  • Navigating academics online
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Managing money
  • Student support and resources
  • Enriching your student life
  • Staying connected to campus - virtually

International students are encouraged to speak with an International Student Advisor on topics like get help with your visa, student permit, and work permit application and health insurance coverage.

It is recommended that students use the International Student Guide to the various resources available on their website including:

    • Before starting UBC checklist
    • Resources while studying at UBC
      • Immigration resources
      • Health Insurance
      • Working while studying
      • Information for your family
      • Taxes
      • Planning ahead
    • Immigration document support

Degree Navigator (DN) is a UBC tool to assist in identifying a student’s degree requirement. Official requirements are listed in the academic Calendar. The current and archived (Calendar History) Calendars are published.

For the BASc program, students must follow the prescribed requirements from four consecutive Calendars (five for Engineering Physics). Engineering students cannot use one single Calendar due to changes in the curriculum that are implemented in stages. For example, a student who entered Year 1 in 2017W will refer to the 2017/2018 Calendar for the first year requirements, followed by 2018/2019 for second year, 2019/2020 for third year, and 2020/2021 for fourth year (and 2021/2022 for fifth year in Engineering Physics).

EAS will conduct a preliminary check between mid-September and end of October on the first year and common requirements (humanities and the Impact of Engineering on Society, Sustainability and Environmental Stewardship under Complementary Studies) on students who are registered in Year 4 and 5 of the program. Students who may have a deficiency in these requirements will be notified. For other deficiencies or questions related to program-specific requirements in Year 2 and above, students are advised to see their program advisor.

If you have a concern about the first year or common requirements, you may submit a request to Engineering Academic Services (EAS) for a review through the contact form.

Not all humanities courses are programmed into DN. For this reason, you may find a humanities course that you have completed in the Unused Courses or Invalid Courses section at the bottom of the DN that has not been applied to the humanities section. Use the searchable approved list to check whether the course has been approved.

Most transfer credits should have already applied correctly on DN. If not, check the Unused Courses or Invalid Courses section again. If the course isn’t listed on your record, check if UBC has received the most updated transcript for an assessment by the Undergraduate Admissions Office. You may have completed a summer course prior to entering UBC, but have not sent the transcript.

If you have transferred from one of nine Engineering Transfer Program partners, your first year requirements are covered if you have completed the entire Engineering Transfer Program at your previous institution.

Camosun Bridge Program is a block transfer whereby transfer credits are not noted. Your DN will be updated manually by EAS during the review.

For other transfers, use the first-year equivalency chart under First-Year Requirements (e.g. PHYS 157, 158 and 159 are covered by PHYS 117, 118 and 119).

More information will be provided by your instructors or department offering the course during your first week of school. Wherever possible, digital material may be recommended.

Your computer should have high processing power, at least 5 GB RAM, a moderate graphics card and at least 125 GB internal memory. The recommended operating system is PC.

Common engineering software (such as MATLAB and Solidworks) is installed in University Computer labs. There is also a variety of discounted and free software available to Engineering students.

Students are able to add or drop courses before the add/drop deadline without a W standing.

Students should review all the guidelines on our High School Student: Year 1 page.

There are many opportunities to get involved at UBC beyond the classroom such as joining a design team, clubs, professional development (mentoring programs), entrepreneurship, Coordinated International Experience (CIE) and more

Interested in applying to the Bachelor of Applied Science (engineering) program? Prospective students can learn about UBC Engineering and the various points of entry on the engineering website. For the application, deadlines and admissions requirements, refer to UBC Undergraduate Admissions.

Not sure who to contact?

EAS is always here to help re-direct students to the appropriate office. Below is a quick guide, please use the hyperlinks in the "Unit" column for the contact information:

**Please remember to include your student number when contacting UBC staff and faculty to help us answer your inquiry more effectively. We thank you for your patience in advance. Due to the high volume of requests during the start of school, response times may vary between units.

Who to Contact

Topic Unit ServiceNotes
Academic Advising Engineering Student Services Academic Advising AppointmentsEAS provides 20 minute Academic Advising Appointments for students who need to talk to an advisor.
Academic Advising Engineering Student Services Quick Questions Zoom Drop InEAS also provides Zoom Drop In three times a week.
Academic/ Study Tips AMS tutoringGroup Tutoring
Zoom Drop In
AMS tutors focus on helping you achieve the grades you want on everything from coursework to exam reviews.
Academic/ Study Tips Centre for Writing and Scholarly Communications Drop In
The Centre supports a diverse community of writers at UBC, at various levels of proficiency, across many types of writing situations: academic, creative, professional, and technical.
Academic/ Study Tips Chapman Learning Commons Drop In for Learning Commons SupportThe Chapman Learning Commons provides academic support, student toolkits, events and workshops, and other services to enhance the experience of all UBC students, with an emphasis on the first-year undergraduate experience.
Academic/ Study Tips Physics Help Centre Drop In Centre
Admissions/Faculty TransfersAdmissionsVarious contact methods UBC Admissions evaluates faculty applications so questions can be directed to them. Questions regarding specific courses can be directed to ESS (example: current UBC science student wanting to transfer into Engineer, what courses should I take?)

*Please note that we only evaluate transfer credits after a student has been accepted to UBC
Co-op Engineering Co-op Contact Co-op Office To create meaningful connections between students and experiential opportunities that will transform them into the engineers of tomorrow.
COVID-19 Resource Engineering Student Services Quick Questions Zoom Drop InFAQ's for 2020W and COVID-19 engineering-specific information

BASC Academic Policies for 2019 Winter Term 2

UBC's Response to COVID
Health and WellnessGeneral list of Health and Wellness ResourcesLearn to manage your stress and anxiety.
Health and WellnessCentre for AccessibilityZoom Drop In
If you are already registered, phone 604 822 5844 dial 0 to book new appointments.
The Centre for Accessibility facilitates disability-related accommodations and programming initiatives designed to remove barriers for students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions.
Register with Centre for Accessibility
Health and WellnessCrisis Centre BCCall or chat with Crisis Centre BC 24/7If you or someone you know is feeling hopeless or at risk of harm, call or chat online with a crisis responder any time
Health and WellnessCrisis SupportFor immediate help call 911
Get 24/7 immediate help if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or at risk of harming yourself or others
Visit your nearest Emergency Room
Health and WellnessNurse on CampusThursday's on CampusRegistered nurses from UBC Student Health Service can give you personalized tips, resources, and health advice. It's confidential, free and there is no appointment needed.
Health and WellnessStudent Health ServicesBook appointment
Student Health Service offers a wide range of health assessments and treatments provided by doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses.
Health and WellnessUBC’s Counsellors in Residence ServicesCounselling Services for UBC Students living in residence.
Email counsellor.residence@ubc.ca to make an appointment.
Virtual appointments exclusive to students in residence. Also offers online events and workshops
Health and Wellness UBC Counselling Services

Counselling Service 45 minute appointments available bookable by phone: 604 822 3811During their studies, students may develop feelings of fear, stress, worry and isolation—these feelings are natural when facing situations beyond our control. Everyone reacts differently to these feelings, which can be overwhelming for some.
Counselling Services has a variety of options which can meet a variety of needs.
Health and Wellness UBC Recreation Get Active At HomeUBC Recreation wants to bring movement to you! All of these FREE sessions can be accessed from anywhere. All you need is your phone, tablet or laptop!
Health and WellnessUBC Safewalk
Safewalk teams (8am-2am)
-call (604) 822-5355
-use a UBC Blue Phone and ask for Safewalk
-drop by our office (8-6pm) – NEST 1314

After 2am, contact UBC Security at 604-822-2222.
Safewalk teams are available to accompany anyone in need to their desired location after dusk on campus.
Health and WellnessWellness Centre
Zoom Drop InThe Wellness Centre believes that a healthy mind, body, and spirit are foundations for students to achieve their personal and academic goals. You can connect with trained students to navigate campus services, talk to a peer about what is going on for you, and learn about managing stress, sleep, eating well and living well as a student.
International Learning/Work Experience International Experiences
Professional Development PD Contact the PD OfficeEnrich your experience by participating in our many student professional development opportunities.
Registration Program offering the course Various services: dependent on programExample: questions about your MATH 100 registration, go talk to the MATH department
Student Advising Enrolment Student ServicesContacting your advisor through Student Services Centre (SSC) All undergraduate students in a degree program have a dedicated Enrolment Services Advisor to help navigate UBC, from making a budget or applying for loans to tuition help or transcript questions.
Student Advising International Student Advising Zoom Drop In
International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help support you in your experience as a UBC international student. They help students with study permits and letters.
Student Resources Learning CentreBook a Study SpaceThe Learning Centre is providing bookable study space which includes access to desktop computers, printing, scanning, single-occupancy study rooms and is organized to ensure safe physical distancing at all times.
Technical Electives + Program Requirements Engineering Program Various services: dependent on programUpper-year students requiring assistance with questions regarding technical electives and/or program specific requirements should contact their Faculty Advisor.