As a first-year engineering student, you will be registering using a Standard Timetable (STT). See Course Planning for further details about the Engineering First Year Standard Timetable.
Create multiple worklists that include your preferred STTs, a 3 credit Humanities and Social Science elective, and a 3 credit English/Communication course. STTs will fill up quickly and you will find it helpful to be prepared with multiple registration options in advance.
STTs are coded with prefixes to help you easily identify which STTs are appropriate for you based on your previous academic experience. If your STT is full, register in the corresponding transitory STT. This table summarizes the coding applicable for most high school student registering in a first-year STT:
|STT Prefix||Transitory STT||Academic Experience|
|HSAR||> or = 90% on Pre-CALC 12 or equivalent OR completed CALC 12 or equivalent|
|HTAR||< 90% on Pre-CALC 12 or equivalent and no calculus background|
(MATH 120 and 121)
|HZAR||> or = 95% on Pre-CALC 12 or equivalent or permission from the Math Department|
|HSAR||Students attending in time zones + 12 hours of Pacific Standard Time|
|HP||Entering with a deficiency in PHYS 12 or equivalent. You will complete PHYS 100 in Term 1, PHYS 157 and 159 in Term 2, and PHYS 118 the following Summer Session|
|PM||PMAR||Restricted to students accepted into the Pre-Med Alternative Path|
|PBME**||PBAR||Restricted to students accepted into the Pre-Biomedical Engineering Path
Students registering in a PBME STT have the option to complete the first year English/Communication requirement in the Winter Session or the following Summer Session. The Humanities and Social Science elective is completed in an upper year of the program. Refer to the Academic Calendar for your program requirements.
|*AP and IB students, refer to the score equivalency to a percentage scale in the Academic Calendar
** Students who have not been given permission to register in a PBME STT, but register in a PBME STT, will be automatically dropped without notification
Reminder: Don't forget to add a 3 credit Humanities and Social Science elective, and a 3 credit English/Communication course.
- One course totaling 3 credits of a humanities and social science course. This is a non-scientific and non-technical course that is generally found in the Faculty of Arts. It is recommended that you select a 100-level course. If you are intending to pursue a minor in your third year, consider ECON 101 for the Minor in Commerce or Entrepreneurship or a 100-level pre-requisite to the Minor in Arts or Science. Please review the Humanities and Social Sciences list for exclusions.
- One of WRDS 150, or ENGL 110 or ENGL 111, to satisfy the first-year English/Communication requirement.
- If you are completing AP, IB or A Levels, do not drop courses from your STT until UBC has confirmed which credits you will receive. You have until the course drop deadline to drop courses without a Withdrawal ('W') standing on your academic record. It is recommended that you complete the first-year UBC Chemistry, Math and Physics courses in the Engineering First Year STT
- ENGL 1st (3) will satisfy the first-year English/Communication requirement
- ENGL 1st (6) will satisfy the first-year English/Communication and 3 credits of humanities and social science requirements
- Only 3 credits of language courses may be applied towards the humanities and social sciences requirement, for details, please see Complementary Studies
IMPORTANT: ECON 1st does not satisfy the pre-requisite for courses which require ECON 101 or ECON 102
Pre-Biomedical Engineering (PBME) Pathway
Only students who have been accepted into the Pre-Biomedical Pathway can register in a PBME Standard Timetable (STT). All others will be dropped and will be required to register in another STT.
PBME STTs have most of the courses you need.
However, if you don’t have the pre-requisites for MATH 100 (> or = 90% on Pre-CALC 12 or equivalent OR completed CALC 12 or equivalent) register in PBME02, PBME03, PBME04 or PMBE06 because they work best with MATH 180. Then request a switch to MATH 180, Section 102 from the Mathematics Department using their form . Do not register for PBME05 because MATH 180 doesn’t fit well in this STT.
The Chemistry Department will register CHEM 121 and CHEM 123 to your schedule. The STT indicates which CHEM 121 and 123 sections will be added.
Register in a English/Communication course (WRDS 150 or one of ENGL 110, 111) which will NOT conflict with the Chemistry sections that will be added.
Students registering in a PBME STT can choose to complete the first year English/Communication requirement in the Winter Session or the following Summer Session.
The Humanities and Social Science elective is completed in an upper year of the Biomedical Engineering program. Refer to the Academic Calendar for your program requirements.
Be sure you have your training and game schedule along with the course and section number(s). you would like to change, then use our Contact Us form.
Please be aware we may not be able to accommodate every change.