Interdepartmental Transfers

What is an interdepartmental transfer?

An interdepartmental transfer is a process of switching specializations at UBC Vancouver for students in Year 2 and above. This is a competitive process based on the most recent sessional average and a statement of intent. Space in most engineering programs is extremely limited, meaning not all transfer applications will be successful.

If you are seeking interdepartmental transfer, you should register for the following year’s courses with the assumption that you will continue in your current program. You will be able to make changes to your schedule until the Add/Drop deadline in the event that your application is successful.

Applying for interdepartmental transfer

Applications for Interdepartmental Transfers are accepted annually from March 15 to May 15.

Students are only permitted to apply to one specialization for transfer. Programs will receive a student’s most recent sessional average, along with a statement of intent. The statement of intent consists of a student’s reason for interest in a program, and why they would be a good candidate for the program they are seeking.

Supporting documentation, such as medical notes or reference letters can also be attached to the application.

Students will be notified of the outcome of their application by email in early August. If your application is successful you will be automatically dropped from your current program’s timetable and placed in the program you have requested. You will need to register yourself in your new program once you have been notified.

ELEC/CPEN and CHBE/CHML Internal Transfers

Certain departments hold internal transfer applications between connected programs.

ECE holds an internal application for students seeking to change from ELEC to CPEN or CPEN to ELEC. Please contact ECE advising for more information.

Chemical Biological Engineering holds an internal application for students seeking to change from CHML to CHBE or CHBE to CHML. Please contact Chemical Biological Engineering advising for more information.